Knee Pain and Conditions
MedStar Health knee specialists offer sophisticated knee pain management to limit pain caused by surgery, as well as the most advanced physical therapy treatment to build back your strength and range of motion. No matter how simple or complex your knee pain or condition, the experienced orthopaedic knee surgeons at MedStar Health will offer you a successful solution.
Arthritis of the Knee
Arthritis is an inflammation of the tissues that cushion the joints where your bones meet. This inflammation can cause pain, swelling, and joint damage. Your knee joints are especially vulnerable to arthritis, which includes
- Osteoarthritis: The natural aging process can wear away at the cartilage between the bones at joints, causing inflammation and pain. It commonly affects knees.
- Post-traumatic arthritis: This form of osteoarthritis develops after you experience an injury to the knee. It can develop years after your injury occurs and causes knee pain.
- Rheumatoid arthritis: This immune system dysfunction attacks and wears away at the cartilage lining between the bones in your joints causing knee pain. You generally experience rheumatoid arthritis on both sides of your body, so it would affect both knees.
Advanced arthritis in the knee can make it difficult to walk and perform many other basic daily activities. Knee replacement surgery can provide relief from the knee pain and arthritis symptoms, and the expert orthopaedic knee replacement surgeons at MedStar Health offer a wide range of advanced treatment and surgical options for all types of advanced knee arthritis.
Knee arthritis symptoms generally include:
- Stiffness and swelling in knee area
- Difficulty moving the knee
- Knee feels weak and painful
- Knee feels unstable, as if it might give way
- Difficulty walking
Call Us Today
For more information or to schedule an appointment with a knee specialist, please call our scheduling line:
MedStar Franklin Square Medical Center
9000 Franklin Square Drive
Baltimore, MD 21237
MedStar Good Samaritan Hospital
5601 Loch Raven Boulevard
Baltimore, MD 21239
MedStar Harbor Hospital
2900 S. Hanover Street
Baltimore, MD 21225
MedStar Union Memorial Hospital
3333 N. Calvert Street, Suite 400
Baltimore, MD 21218
- Learn more about knee conditons at the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons