Spinal stenosis is a condition in which the bones that make up the spine tighten around the spinal cord, reducing the cushioning space between them and putting too much pressure on the spinal cord. It can be caused by:
- The natural wear and tear of aging
- Back problems since birth
Spinal stenosis causes a variety of uncomfortable symptoms, including:
- Pain in the back, neck, legs, or bottom
- Burning sensation or numbness in the legs
- Weakness in the legs
Treatment for spinal stenosis generally depends on the severity of the back pain. If non-surgical treatments, including anti-inflammatory or pain medications, steroid injections, or physical therapy, do not relieve the pain, surgery may be an option. The orthopedic surgeons at MedStar Health are extensively trained in the most advanced and innovative surgical procedures to treat spinal stenosis.
- Laminectomy, or decompression, removes the bones or ligaments that press on the nerves or spinal cord.
- Spinal fusion unites vertebrae together to help stabilize the spine.