At MedStar Orthopaedic Institute, our teams integrate foot and ankle surgeons and therapists, all dedicated to eliminating the pain and limitations such disorders can cause. We believe in compassionate, focused care, and emphasize minimally invasive and arthroscopic procedures so patients have options for a faster recovery, a reduced risk of infection, and a quicker return to full function.
- Ankle fusion is a surgical procedure that locks the ankle joint with screws, prohibiting the upward and downward motion of the ankle. It is a way to relieve pain in patients who have a worn out ankle joint due to arthritis or a traumatic injury. It is also an option for people with a severe deformity such as a flat foot, high-arched foot, or a club foot in which the ankle joint is also deformed, unstable, or damaged.
- Ankle replacement is an available treatment for those suffering from arthritis in the ankle. Previously, the traditional treatment for severe arthritis in the ankle was to fuse together the bones of the ankle joint, restricting movement. In total ankle replacement, the diseased, worn-out ankle joint is removed and replaced with a prosthetic joint made of steel, chrome, and polyethylene.
- Fracture Care treatment is different for each individual and depends on the extent of the fracture. Treatment can range from a special shoe or cast to surgery for more severe fractures. Our foot and ankle specialists and surgeons may use plates, metal or absorbable screws, pins, staples, or tension bands to hold the bones in place. Physical therapy is the second stage of treatment for a fracture, following the cast removal or surgery.
- Infected ankle replacement - If a total joint replacement becomes infected, the health of the joint and limb, as well as the overall health of the patient, become an immediate concern. Not all orthopedic specialists are trained to manage and treat infected total joints. At MedStar Health, our foot and ankle specialists and surgeons appropriately manage and aggressively treat infections. This often times requires removal of the total joint implant and a course of antibiotics followed by revision joint replacement. While this is unfortunate, it is critical for removing the bacteria from your system and maximizing your overall health and outcome.
- Tendon Reconstruction is a treatment employed to repair tendon tears. For less severe tears, suturing may suffice. If you have an acute tear, your doctor will use tendon tissue grafts, taken either from elsewhere in the leg or from a tissue bank, to make the repair.
- Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome Care Our foot and ankle specialists may implement conservative treatments such as rest, elevation, massage, anti-inflammatory medications, steroid injections, arch supports (orthotics), and/or better-fitting shoes. If conservative treatment does not provide results, your physician may suggest surgery during which an incision made in the ligament, located below the inside of the ankle, allowing room for the nerve to expand. If a cyst is impinging on the nerve, it can be removed.
Call Us Today
MedStar Union Memorial Hospital
Foot and Ankle Specialists
3333 N. Calvert Street, Suite 400
Baltimore, MD 21218