MedStar Health's foot and ankle specialists offer a wide range of treatments and care options that include:
- Bunion care can range from nonsurgical methods, such as wearing roomier shoes and using protective pads to cushion the painful area, to surgical methods employed to realign bone, ligaments, tendons, and nerves so the big toe can be brought back to its correct position.
- Fracture Care treatment is different for each individual and depends on the extent of the fracture. Treatment can range from a special shoe or cast to surgery for more severe fractures. Our foot and ankle specialists and surgeons may use plates, metal or absorbable screws, pins, staples, or tension bands to hold the bones in place. Physical therapy is the second stage of treatment for a fracture, following the cast removal or surgery.
- Tendon Reconstruction is a treatment employed to repair tendon tears. For less severe tears, suturing may suffice. If you have an acute tear, your doctor will use tendon tissue grafts, taken either from elsewhere in the leg or from a tissue bank, to make the repair.
- Wound care can be critical because wounds on the foot and ankle are slow to heal on certain people, especially diabetics. Wounds can develop into ulcers from such conditions as such as lack of feeling in the foot, poor circulation, foot deformities, irritation, and trauma. Diabetic patients sometimes develop neuropathy (lack of feeling) in the feet that can leave wounds undetected. Vascular disease can also complicate a foot ulcer, reducing the body's ability to heal and increasing the risk for an infection.
- Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome Care Our foot and ankle specialists may implement conservative treatments such as rest, elevation, massage, anti-inflammatory medications, steroid injections, arch supports (orthotics), and/or better-fitting shoes. If conservative treatment does not provide results, your physician may suggest surgery during which an incision made in the ligament, located below the inside of the ankle, allowing room for the nerve to expand. If a cyst is impinging on the nerve, it can be removed.
Call Us Today
MedStar Union Memorial Hospital
Foot and Ankle Specialists
3333 N. Calvert Street, Suite 400
Baltimore, MD 21218