Most people suffering from a herniated disc respond well to non-surgical treatment. We generally recommend that you:
- Rest your back
- Take prescription or over-the-counter anti-inflammatory or pain medications
- Do physical therapy, including applying heat or ice, massage, and exercises to strengthen the back
- Epidural Steroid Injections. These are injections of anti-inflammatory and anesthetic medications into the spinal canal. They're used to decrease swelling and the pain associated with it.
If non-surgical treatment does not relieve your pain, you may need surgery. The orthopaedic surgeons at MedStar have extensive training in the most advanced and innovative surgical procedures to treat complications of herniated discs. We will work with you to determine the least invasive and most effective surgical option.
Surgical options we offer include:
- Traditional Open Discectomy
- Minimally Invasive Discectomy
- Endoscopic Discectomy